So I have decided to give you my most favorite beauty products from 2012. It was so hard to narrow it down! I love makeup so much that my list was getting out of control. Since I like to give tips for the average women, I decided I would give the 5 things that I can’t live without for a BASIC look, but items I still use when I’m getting all glammed up. 4 of the 5 that made the list I believe are universal. All who read this will be able to use these products. These products are very versatile for a variety of complexions and skin textures.
1. I absolutely love Maybelline mascara. They have so many products and they are all very good, but my favorite is Great Lash Lots of Lash. Of course I wear it in very black. This product is my number one because anyone can get by with just a great mascara. I love the spooly’s shape. The tapered tip makes it so easy to apply the product to those teeny hairs at the corner of your eyes without making a mess on your lid. And the fat part is great to apply the product to both the upper and lower surface of the lashes. If you don’t have this, you need to try it! You can get it at any drugstore.
2. Next is eyeliner. If you are going for a simple I don’t want to look tired at work look, or running errands for the family look, or even dramatic smokey eye look, you must have a great eye liner. Y’all know my obsession with Urban Decay – and they made my top 5. I can’t go without their 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion. The pencils come in 24 colors, but Perversion is my favorite because it is the blackest black. I love these pencils because they will really last all day. They glide on so well because they have a gel-like consistency. If you have a sharp point , (or use a brush), you can draw a very fine line, you can turn the pencil sideways and apply a thicker line. Before the product dries you can use a brush or Q-Tip and smudge it out. The pencil does not drag on your skin – so making a straight line is easy. After it dries this product will last all day. (I recommend using Urban Decay’s Makeup Remover to remove this product). You can get this at your local Sephora, or at www.UrbanDecay.com.
3. Next, I have liked bronzer for a long time. Some people like to use it in the summer months, but I prefer to use it all year round. It gives a nice glow, and I think it’s ok to have a glow in the dark, dreary months. My go to bronzer is Bare Escentuals Blush in the shade of Bronze. Now it is a blush, but I love to use it to give my skin that sun-kissed look. I apply it to the apples of my cheeks, and out to my cheek bones. I put a couple of dabs on the tip of my nose, the tip of my chin, and a light sweep down the bridge of my nose. This is the only product that might not be versatile on people with very fair skin. (You can use a bronzer the same as how I described, but you might want to try a lighter shade). I am old school, I have so much makeup that I still have plenty of my loose powder. I am not quite sure if this comes in their READY brand (pressed powder product). You can get this at a Bare Escentuals boutique if there is one in your area, at Sephora, or online at www.bareescentuals.com. (sorry no pic for this one).
4. Can’t have a top 5 without M-A-C. I was first introduced to M-A-C with their lipstick and lip glass, and to this day this is still my favorite product from M-A-C. I am such a fan for Tinted Lipglass because it gives that nice glossy shine to your lips without looking cheap and it doesn’t leave your lips with that tacky feel. It also feels very moisturizing and when I am wearing it I do not feel the need to reapply the product often. My go to color is Pop Mode. I think this color is great to wear solo, pair it with a liner, a lipstick or both. The combinations can be endless. Pop Mode is great for darker complexioned people who have pigmented lips, like myself. But it also works very well for lighter complexioned women who want a deep berry look. If you have never tried M-A-C lipglass, start with this one! You can find this at any department store that sells M-A-C (like Macy’s), at a M-A-C store, or online at www.maccosmetics.com.
5. Last but not least are the tools. I firmly believe if you have quality tools, and a well-cared for “canvas” you will have to work half as hard to enhance your natural beauty. My favorite brushes are hands down aDesign Brushes. These brushes are the only brushes on the market that are tethered together with string and bound down with glue. This means that you will get little to no bristle fall out. These are pro quality brushes at a makeup enthusiast budget. These are what I use for both my personal collection and my professional kit. You can get these brushes individually, or in pre-made collections. They have a wide variety of synthetic fiber, as well as, natural fiber brushes. All of the brushes are labeled so that you will know what the brush is used for. You can only get these from www.adesignbrushes.com.
Well folks, that was my top 5 for 2012. If you decide to try these products out in 2013 please let me know! I would like to know if you love them as much as I do!
Thank you to all friends, family, and colleagues that have supported me in 2012. I look forward to 2013 being as fabulous as the last!